7 SEO Lessons I’m Learning While Building My Blog From Scratch

 By Nicodemus Duru

SEO • Blogging • Content Creation • Digital Marketing

Introduction 

Starting a blog is easy. Building one that people actually discover is a completely different challenge.

When I published my first articles, I quickly realized that writing something I considered useful did not automatically mean people would find it. The internet is already filled with millions of articles, opinions, guides and stories.

So the question became: "How do you make your own content visible in such a crowded space?"  That question led me to search engine optimization, commonly known as SEO.

I am still learning. I don't claim to have mastered SEO or to have built a blog with millions of visitors. But that is precisely why I decided to document what I am learning while building my blog from scratch.

These are seven lessons that are already changing the way I think about writing online.

What I'm Actually Learning While Building My Blog

Nicodemus Duru blog showing published articles
My blog as I continue learning and applying SEO principles in practice.

My own blogging journey has made these lessons much more practical.

I started publishing articles on subjects I care about, including education, climate change, community development and chess education. As I published more articles, I began paying closer attention to titles, search descriptions, keywords, headings, images and how articles could be shared.

I am still learning, but that process has taught me an important lesson: SEO is not a one-time task.

Every article gives a new opportunity to understand what readers want and improve the way information is presented.

1. Writing a good article is not enough: This was probably one of my first important realizations. As a writer, it is tempting to think that if an article is well written, people will naturally find it. Unfortunately, the internet doesn't work that way.

There are countless excellent articles competing for attention every day. Search engines have to decide which pages to show when someone searches for something.

That means a good article needs more than good grammar. It needs to solve a problem, answer a question or provide information that somebody is actually looking for. For example, instead of simply writing:

“My Thoughts on Chess and Education”

a more search-focused approach could be:

“Why Every Child Should Learn Chess: 7 Benefits for Critical Thinking”

The second title tells both the reader and the search engine much more clearly what the article is about.

I'm learning that SEO doesn't mean writing for machines. Good SEO begins with understanding people.

2. Choose the topic before you start writing: Another lesson I'm learning is that the best time to think about SEO is before writing the article, not after.

Previously, I could have an interesting idea, open my writing platform and start typing. Now I ask different questions.

  • Who needs this information?
  • What problem does it solve?
  • What question might someone type into Google?
  • Is there already information about this subject?
  • Can I provide something different?
  • What would make someone want to read my article instead of another one?

These questions help transform an ordinary idea into a potential search-friendly article.

For example, instead of simply deciding to write about climate change, I can narrow the subject to:

"How Climate Change Is Affecting Rural Communities in Nigeria"

Now the subject has a clearer audience and purpose. It can speak to farmers, students, development workers, researchers, environmental organizations and people interested in Nigeria.

The more clearly you define the problem you're solving, the easier it becomes to create useful content.

3. Keywords are important, but readers come first: SEO often makes beginners think about keywords. And yes, keywords matter.

But I'm learning that there is a big difference between using keywords naturally and stuffing an article with the same phrase repeatedly.

Imagine searching for:

“How to start a blog”

and finding an article that says:

"How to start a blog is important because starting a blog requires knowing how to start a blog. If you want to start a blog, you need to learn how to start a blog..."

You would probably leave the page almost immediately.

The article may technically contain the keyword, but it doesn't provide a good reading experience.

A better approach is to understand the subject behind the keyword and naturally use related terms throughout the article.

For example, an article about starting a blog might naturally discuss:

  • choosing a blogging platform
  • selecting a niche
  • writing blog posts
  • search engine optimization
  • attracting visitors
  • creating useful content
  • promoting articles

The keyword helps identify the subject. The content is what makes the reader stay.

4. Your headline can determine whether people click: I've also learned that a great article can still struggle if its headline doesn't make people interested enough to click. Think about the difference between these two titles:

“Climate Change”

and

“How Climate Change Is Affecting Rural Communities in Nigeria”

The second one immediately tells you:

  • the subject,
  • the location,
  • the people affected,
  • and what you can expect from the article.

A strong headline doesn't have to be sensational. It simply needs to communicate why the reader should care.

This is especially important because your headline may appear in search results, social media posts and links shared by other people.

I'm beginning to see the headline as a promise. The article then has to deliver on that promise.

5. Useful content is more valuable than simply producing more content: When starting a blog, it can be tempting to think:

“I need to publish every day.”

But publishing frequently doesn't automatically create a successful website. One genuinely useful article can potentially provide more value than several rushed articles.

For example, instead of writing five short articles that barely answer readers' questions, I could spend more time developing one comprehensive guide that answers the major questions surrounding a topic. That means:

  • researching properly,
  • giving examples,
  • organizing information clearly,
  • using headings,
  • adding relevant images,
  • linking to useful resources,
  • checking facts,
  • and making the article easy to read.

I'm learning that quality and usefulness should come before publishing simply for the sake of publishing.

6. SEO doesn't end when you press “Publish"

Blogger SEO settings showing labels and search description
Applying SEO settings to a blog post before publication

This is another lesson that has changed how I look at blogging.

Publishing an article isn't necessarily the end of the process. It can be the beginning. After publishing, there are several things a blogger can do:

i. Share the article: Social media can help introduce your article to people who may never discover it through search.

ii. Link to it from other relevant articles: Internal links can help readers discover related content while making the structure of your website easier to navigate.

iii. Improve the article later: If an article isn't performing well, that doesn't necessarily mean it is useless.

  • The headline might need improvement.
  • The introduction might be weak.
  • The article might not answer the reader's question completely.
  • Or the topic may need more depth.
  • Keep learning
  • SEO changes.
  • Search engines change.
  • The way people search changes.

That means blogging successfully requires a willingness to keep learning.

7. You don't need to be an expert to start: This may be the most important lesson of all.

When I first became interested in blogging and SEO, it was easy to look at established websites and feel that I had a long way to go.

  • Some websites have been publishing for years.
  • Some have teams of writers.
  • Some have enormous audiences.
  • Some have sophisticated SEO systems.

But every established website started somewhere.

A beginner doesn't need to know everything before publishing the first article.

  • You can learn by doing.
  • You can write your first article.
  • Then your second.
  • Then your tenth.
  • You can study what works.
  • You can improve your headlines.
  • You can learn keyword research.
  • You can understand search intent.
  • You can improve your writing.

And gradually, your knowledge grows alongside your website.

The goal isn't to become an SEO expert overnight. The goal is to become a better blogger with every article you publish.

What I'm going to do differently

As I continue building my blog, I want to approach every article with a simple checklist:

1. Who am I writing for?

2. What problem am I solving?

3. What would someone search for to find this information?

4. Can I provide something genuinely useful?

5. Is my headline clear and interesting?

6. Is the article easy to read?

7. Have I given readers a reason to come back?

These questions won't guarantee that an article reaches thousands of people.

But they give me a much better starting point than simply publishing and hoping someone discovers it.

Final Thoughts

Building a blog from scratch has taught me something that I didn't fully appreciate before:

Getting noticed online isn't simply about writing more. It's about understanding what people need and creating something worth finding. SEO is part of that process.

It helps connect people who are searching for information with people who can provide that information.

But behind every search query is a real person.

  • Someone has a question.
  • Someone has a problem.
  • Someone wants to learn something.
  • Someone is looking for an answer.

As I continue developing my blog, that is the principle I want to remember.

Don't write simply because you have something to say. Write because you have something useful to give. And then learn how to help the right people find it.

About the Author

Nicodemus Duru is an educator, writer and community-development practitioner interested in education, agriculture, environmental sustainability, WASH, community development and digital learning. He writes about ideas and experiences that can contribute to positive change in communities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Climate Change Is Affecting Rural Communities in Nigeria

Why Community Service Is the Greatest Investment Anyone Can Make

Why Digital Literacy Should Be a Priority in Nigerian Public Schools